Your thyroid is a small butterfly shaped gland located in your throat. It plays a very important role in the body, it regulates your body’s ability to produce energy. If it’s running to high (hyperthyroid) then you burn through lots of energy, you feel warm and anxious, you burn through nutrients and proteins quickly which can result in weight loss. If your thyroid is running low (hypothryoid) then you have cold hands and feet, feel tired, and have difficulty losing weight.
Thyroid conditions are one of the most underdiagnosed conditions today. The main reason is many doctors only test one of the seven markers for thyroid health. If you can get your doctor to run this lab or a couple extra tests, the tests often come back as ‘normal’. Yet the patient feels terrible! Why is this?? Normal does not equate to healthy. Each lab is required to generate their own reference ranges, they look at the results that are being generated by the clients going to the lab, take the values that 95% of the subjects fall into. The problem is the majority of the people that are getting their labs done are not optimally healthy. The subjects are generally not healthy, because doctor are only ordering tests for their patients they suspect have overt hormone deficiencies or excesses.
Common thyroid symptoms
- Recurrent ear, nose, and throat infections
- Gain weight easily, difficulty losing weight or weight loss, difficulty keeping weight on.
- Fatigue most of the day, worse at rest, better with exercise or anxious and feeling hyper.
- Energy is best in the evening
- Overweight, feeling swollen
- Feeling cold, cold hands and feet, often needs to layer up to keep warm or intolerance to heat and difficulties cooling down
- General hair thinning, hair is dry and brittle
- Nails dry brittle and break easily
- Poor appetite, rely on caffeine for energy
- Excessive thirst or low thirst
- Bloating, slow digestion, constipation
- Joint and muscle pain worse in the morning
- Foggy thinking, slow thinking, poor memory and concentration
- Loss of the outer third of eyebrows
We have lots of success treating thyroid conditions naturally. We utilize diet, nutrition, and bioidentical hormone replacement therapy to rebalance, and treat thyroid conditions.