Menopause is a natural progression of life for women, but that doesn’t mean you have to suffer! It all starts with perimenopause. The average onset is 47 years of age and can last up to 5 years!
- Menstrual cycles start to become variable.
- Cycle can increasing in frequency, become heavier, or prolonged, followed by becoming less frequent and eventually stopping completely.
- Follicular stimulating hormone (FSH) starts to increase, in attempt to stimulate the ovaries to increase production of estrogen and progesterone.
- Estrogen and progesterone levels drop, resulting in many of the symptoms experienced by women during this time. Once this occurs menstruation stops, once you have been 1 year without a period you are considered menopausal.
- The onset of menopause occurs for most women between the ages of 50-52, but the best indicator is the age in which your mother or older sister went through menopause.
- To compensate for this drop in estrogen production from our ovaries our bodies get estrogen elsewhere. We convert androgens to estrogens in the fat cells and the adrenal glands, which accounts for most of the circulating estrogen in post-menopausal women. Because of this conversion in fat cells, women who are heavier can have an easier menopause. And women with adrenal fatigue (from stress) have a tougher menopause.
- For women with hysterectomies where the ovaries have been removed, the adrenal glands do not function adequately to produce androgens, resulting in intense menopausal symptoms.
- Menopause can also be artificially induced from surgery, radiation or chemotherapy
A lucky few of us transition few menopause with ease. But many suffer from a hot list of symptoms such as:
- Weight gain
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Vaginal dryness
- Difficulties sleeping
- Poor memory
- Low sex drive
Dr.Escobedo uses diet, nutrition, botanical, and bio-identical hormone replacement therapies to effectively help her patients manage menopause with ease. Don’t suffer, when the solution is simple. Book your free 15 minute phone consultation today!