As spring continues to move into summer, the weather change bringing the seasonal allergies we all dread. Runny nose, sore throat, red and itchy eyes – the list of symptoms can go on and on. Your first move has always been to go straight towards over-the-counter medicine to treat your symptoms, but have you ever thought of a natural approach to treating your seasonal allergies?
Understanding Allergies: What Are They?
According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, an allergy is “when the body’s immune system sees a substance as harmful and overreacts to it.” Some of the most common allergies are to mold, pollen, dust mites, animal hair, food, and the environment. Seasonal allergy symptoms typically include “sneezing, itchy eyes, nose, or roof of the mouth, runny or stuffy nose, and watery, red, or swollen eyes.” However, many find themselves experiencing seasonal allergies for longer periods of time and at a more intense rate.
Why Treat Allergies Naturopathically?
Instead of trying to suppress the symptoms with pharmaceutical medicine, our holistic approach of treating allergic symptoms goes deeper to the cause as to why a person’s immune system is overreacting. Using herbs, homeopathy, and nutrients, naturopathic doctors aim to find and treat the root of your problem, instead of prescribing our patient’s medicine that will only temporarily treat the symptom.
Holistic Approaches to Treating Allergies
- Improve your diet – identify and take out food sensitivities and food allergies. This lowers the burden on the immune system reducing the allergic threshold of the immune system, thus making you more resilient to the allergy season. Avoiding trans fats can help as well.
- Integrate nutrients to stabilize the immune system, such as magnesium, vitamin C, vitamin D, and vitamin B5 and B1.
- Support the stress system- when stress is high, the immune system is taxed and allergies can get worse. Adrenal support can help make you and your immune system more resilient.
- Hesperidin, a nutrient from citrus fruits, has been shown to reduce symptoms of allergies.
- A good quality probiotic is essential to supporting healthy immune system and allergy resilience.
- Try correcting hypothyroidism- balancing the thyroid has shown to improve symptoms of allergic rhinitis.
- Quercetin in high dose has been shown to be effective at stabilizing mast cells- 100mg twice daily.
Dr. Escobedo has had great success helping her patients improve their immune health, reduce allergy symptoms and identify and eliminate food triggers. If you are suffering from allergies, or think you may have food or environmental allergies, come in and get your blood test today. If you’re interested in learning more about the services provided at Wild Women Wellness, you can visit our website or give us a call at (650)-271-9453 today!